Jean-Philippe Chetcuti acts as managing partner at Chetcuti Cauchi and head of the Tax and Trusts departments. He specializes in Maltese and international taxation, estate planning, estate settlement and trust and estate administration. Jean-Philippe is the chairman of the firm’s trust company that is one of Malta’s leading trust management firms, authorised by the Malta Financial Services Authority.
Jean-Philippe acts as legal counsel and tax consultant to foreign high net worth individuals and business entities seeking a tax efficient base and residence in European Malta. JP is a respected advisor of overseas professional firms and clients on corporate law, taxation and trust law matters and has acted as counsel in complex commercial transactions, often involving issues of tax, corporate finance and cross-border issues.
Jean-Philippe is recognized for his in-depth experience in trust and estate administration and for his handling of sophisticated domestic and international transactions for individuals, covering in some instances several generations of families. Through the firm’s trust company, he acts as trustee for many established trusts working closely with clients in providing strategic advice on the investment, tax and legal aspects of these arrangements as well as with respective trust beneficiaries. In addition, JP’s practice includes working with other individual and institutional trustees and doing significant work with non-profit organizations. He has an extensive background in estate and gift taxation as well as charitable trust and fiduciary law.
Jean-Philippe speaks regularly at various international fora and academic institutions on international taxation and trust law. JP delivers the ACCA Advanced Tax paper at the Richard Clarke Academy and is a regular speaker at the Academy for Law & Finance.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chamber of Advocates, Valletta, Malta
- Society for Trusts & Estate Practitioners(Vice Chairman)
- Institute of Financial Services Practitioners, Malta (Executive Council, Committee for Tax and Non- Regulated Business, Trusts Committee, Tax on Trusts Task Group)
- International Tax Planning Association, Jersey
- Malta Institute of Taxation
- International Fiscal Association, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Finance Malta Foundation, Malta
Professional & Civic Activities
- 2002 Valletta, Malta (Chamber of Advocates)
- 2008 Diploma International Trust Management (Central Law Training–STEP) [distinction]
- 2006 Diploma Taxation (Malta Institute of Taxation)
- 2002 LL.M. International Economic Law (University of Warwick) [distinction]
- 2001 LL.D. European Corporate Tax Law (University of Malta)
- 2000 Diploma Notarial Studies (University of Malta)
- 1998 B.A. Law & English (University of Malta)
- European tax law
- Corporate tax harmonisationin the European Union
- Tax Arbitration Convention(90/436/EEC)
- Taxation of Savings Income Directive
- International initiatives on harmful tax competition