In today’s increasingly knowledge-driven commercial environment, intellectual property (IP) is an extremely important consideration in all business decisions. The exploitation, protection and enforcement of IP rights especially in high-tech or IT driven companies is a key element of a company’s measure of success or otherwise.
No business has the luxury of ignoring intangible capital and the importance of IP rights accumulated in its goodwill and in reputational aspects.
Our team specialise in:
- Commercialising IP Rights, including copyright, patents, trade marks, anti-counterfeiting & piracy, digital rights management, know-how, confidential information, and trade secrets
- Protecting and Securing IP Rights, such as buying and assigning IP rights, auditing IP assets, licensing, negotiating and contracts drafting, mergers and joint ventures, competition law, franchising, domain name protection & framework distribution and agency agreements
- Brand Protection, such as trade mark and design registrations in Malta & the EU, and implementing anti-piracy & anti-counterfeiting measures
- Enforcing Intellectual Property Rights, by detecting and preventing infringements of rights and using alternate dispute resolution methods and commercial litigation, if necessary.
- Anti-Counterfeiting, Implementation of & Assistance in Programmes to mitigate against the effect of counterfeiting
- Franchising and Distributorship arrangements, by representing and advising local franchisors or foreign franchises or companies acting as distributors to the Maltese market and wishing to enter into such agreements and avail themselves of readily established franchise arrangements.
Maria Chetcuti Cauchi is the partner in charge of our IP & Gaming Law Practice Groups and advises on all aspects of registrations, assignments, licensing and compliance. Maria is also a prominent intellectual property law specialist representing parties in domain name and trademark infringement issues. Maria is a registered TM & patent attorney in Malta and in the EU. [full profile]
Silvana Zammit is also an IP & gaming law specialist advising on licensing, regulatory, e-commerce and ICT law matters relating to the IT & general commercial industries. Silvana is an active member of the IP Team and leads other associates n complex IP matters. [full profile]
Charles Cassar is as an associate in the IP & Financial Services Practice Groups and has acted for various companies in negotiating use of trademarks and territorial restrictions, assignments, franchising and territorial limitations thereof as well as general IP matter [full profile]